Top Stories for July 3, 2024

The American flag

Mecklenburg County provides this weekly rundown of top stories from the Board of County Commissioners meetings and the Public Information Department’s newsroom. The Board’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 7, at 6 p.m. The agenda will be available online and the meeting can be viewed on MeckTV.  

1. Interim Tax Collector: Members of the Board of County Commissioners each saluted Mecklenburg County Tax Collector Neal Dixon, who is retiring on Aug. 1 after nearly 30 years of service. Dixon was last appointed in 2021 to a four-year term as tax collector. As a result, the Board appointed Julissa Fernández as interim tax collector to serve the remainder of the term through June 30, 2025. Fernández has worked in the tax collector’s office for the past eight years and currently serves as tax operations director. She has served Mecklenburg County for a total of 14 years. Visit to learn more about the Office of the Tax Collector. 

2. Priorities and Projects: The Board received a fourth-quarter update on the status of the investments and activities associated with each of the Board's fiscal year 2024 budget priorities. Those priorities are: 

  • Early Childhood Development 
  • Educational Attainment 
  • Environmental Stewardship 
  • Health Access 
  • Housing Security 
  • Workforce Development 
  • Racial Disparities 

The FY2024 budget included $166 million in new investments aligned with the Board’s priorities. At the end of the fourth quarter, $150 million (90%) of the funding has been committed. The remaining $16 million (10%) includes $10 million for the HOMES program to be carried forward into FY2025; $3 million for child development grants; $1 million for MeckSuccess also carried forward; and other investments that take some time to execute. The presentation provided an overview of initiatives that were begun, completed, and are currently underway as of the fourth quarter. 

3. A Leg Up after Release: To address the Board’s racial disparities priority, Mecklenburg County has launched a pilot program to support residents who are reentering the community after incarceration. The Supplemental Income Pilot Program, administered by Criminal Justice Services, will choose 60 formerly incarcerated residents to receive a monthly stipend of $600 for one year. The money can be used in five categories: childcare, health, drug abuse treatment, education, and general welfare which includes housing and utilities. The program began with a directive from the Board to address equity in the community. 

4. Burgers, Brats, and Safe BBQing: Plenty of backyard grills will fire up this holiday week and throughout the summer. The Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal wants everyone to keep it safe while their holiday meals simmer over an open flame.  

  • Grill outdoors away from your home. 
  • Clean the grill after each use. 
  • Never leave the grill unattended while cooking. 

Plus, soak hot coals in water or let them cool for at least 48 hours before disposal. Hot coals and ashes from a grill can cause fires at Mecklenburg County solid waste centers and in collection trucks. Residents can also bring ashes to a full-service recycling center where they can be disposed of in a special metal barrel. 

5. Closed for the Fourth: Mecklenburg County offices and services will be closed on Thursday, July 4, for the Independence Day holiday.